I am
the second of three young people to board the bus. The girl in front of me, hands
crammed with plastic bags, heading home after a busy day of shopping, takes
note of the fullness of the bus and does what I will soon do as well. She
looks up the aisle to see the seats vomiting out loud teenagers, excited
children with freebie balloons, backpacks, strollers with crying babies and
some token pensioners assuming prime position at the front, hands on bells,
ready to alert the driver of their impending departure, approximately seven minutes from now.
Hesitating
for a moment, she pivots from one leg to another while she considers taking a
chance, peering her neck to the back of the bus to see if there’s a free place
to accommodate her tired feet. After some rigid “Should I, shouldn’t I?”
movements, she takes her place on the left side of the bus, hoping that people
don’t step on her tired looking, but all too visible thong-wearing toes.
I
follow in her footsteps, and greet the driver, who grunts something back at me
in that old man-big bellied-tight shirted-whisky in one hand kind of way.
Perhaps he wishes he was holding a whisky right now. I stand opposite the girl,
looking in the other direction, hoping not only that my feet don’t get stood on,
but also not to bother the bus driver’s view, who is clearly frustrated at I can
only guess, the loud noises that are leaving the children’s mouths and echoing
through the entire, frosty air – conditioned bus.
The
young guy gets on after me and we zoom off and join up with the rest of the
traffic that fills the roads on an unusually busy Monday afternoon. He stands
next to me, thus forming a barrier of youth against all potential departees and
arrivees. The girl has already pacified her ears with her musical liking pre-bus
entry. The boy soon follows and I hear the hip-hop beats begin to tear off his
eardrum one follicle at a time. I realize I too am earphoneless, when I find
myself listening to pension lady number one, question pension lady number two
about those magnetic underlays that you put under your sheets, and whether or
not they really do ease the pain. Earphones in, strangers’ dialogue out, some awkward
eye-contact avoiding tension between the three under 25ers at the front and
someone’s smelly body odour for our nasal delight. Robotic and immune from
communication, it’s just another day on the three one eight.
No comments:
Post a Comment